Baba Sling Review
The Baba Sling is an adjustable pocket sling. It’s designed to carry babies and toddlers (0-2yr+ / 4.5lbs-33lbs / 2kg – 15kg) and is made from 100%
- Very strong sling with an inbuilt safety strap and buckle
- Padded shoulder for the wearer
- Padded top and bottom rails for the baby’s comfort
- Top and bottom rails are adjustable
- In built safety strap and buckle
- Lots of colours and designs to choose from
- I could breastfeed with the baby held in the hammock position
- When trying to adjust the Baba Sling, I found it hard to pull the fabric through the buckles while wearing it, so I had to adjust it before putting it on.
- The shoulder strap wouldn’t stay on my shoulder and crept onto the crook of my neck which made it uncomfortable after wearing it for a while as it dug in. My husband also made this comment when he put it on and carried our older daughter in the hip carry position.
- There is a lot of material in the sling that can’t be pulled in and adjusted so baby wasn’t held directly against me.
- Can be a little tricky trying to get baby out quickly.
- Although I could breastfeed while wearing baby in the hammock position, I didn’t feel comfortable carrying her like that. In this position it doesn’t follow the T.I.C.K.S. Guidelines for baby wearing safety as her head was too low.
- If you were to use baby in the cradle (Easyrider) position I would suggest the option of not having their head inside the sling as there is a lot of fabric. This option is shown in their website here. Also make sure that baby is up high enough so you can kiss their head.
My Chiropractic opinion on the Baba Sling
The baby, when seated in the Baba Sling in the hip position, is in the correct “M” posture whereby their bottom is lower than their knees and their hips are spread at a 90 degree angle or more.
Even though I positioned the Baba sling correctly to start with, I could never get it to just sit on my shoulder. It would ride up onto the crook of my neck after a while and put strain on my neck and upper back.
Also, because the pouch has a lot of material my baby’s tummy didn’t sit against my body in the hip carry position, which meant she was slouched to an extent. This doesn’t follow the T.I.C.K.S. Guidelines for safe baby-wearing.
Find out more about the importance of ergonomics for baby-wearing here.
A Day In The Life Of…
A review of the Baba Sling in my daily activities
Getting baby into carrier in the car park
Quite easy to put on and get baby into when you get out of the car. There is no need to put it on before leaving the house.
How supported is the baby in the Baba Sling?
Depending on the carry, baby is relatively supported, but I found it hard with my baby in the hip carry to be fully supported as her body wasn’t held close enough to me because the top rail didn’t tighten enough.
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with sling on?
You can wear a bag on the other side, depending on the carry type you choose.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the sling on?
Does it feel hands-free?
No, because the top rail didn’t draw my baby right against me, I felt I needed one hand on her back.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep?
I felt I needed one hand to support my baby.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the carrier?
Yes, I did in the hammock position
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc?
Not without supporting baby’s back and neck.
Can I sit down while wearing it?
How does it feel after 30 minutes?
I felt it digging into my shoulder/neck.
Can it hold a toddler?
Yes a toddler can be worn in it especially in the hip and back carry (although I have never tried the back carry)
Has my husband worn it?
Yes he did. He carried my almost 3 yr old daughter in the hip carry. He said it felt secure with her in it but he felt the shoulder strap digging into his shoulder/neck also.
Baba Sling Features-
As taken from their website www.babaslings.com
- Easy to adjust (both dad and mum can wear)
- In built safety strap and buckle
- Specially imported high quality side release ski buckle with divider for straps
- Double adjustable strapping system
- Comfortable foam shoulder padding
- 100% cotton
- Funky colours and patterns and plain colours
- Padded railings, greater comfort for baby
- Australian made (Some boutique are made overseas)
- Machine washable
- Meets highest quality control
- Extended use dependant upon comfortable weight bearing capability of parent
- Brilliant for sleeping and breast feeding babies
- Easy to put on, even easier to take off (don’t have to wake up bub!)
- many different positions
- Increase the intimacy between you and little one
- Puts no pressure on baby’s developing hips and spine
- Supports neck and head
- Enhances prolaction flows, which aids in breast feeding
- Cuts down on crying and fussing, reduces reflux and colic
- Helps to complete baby’s exterogestation period