ERGObaby Performance Review
The ERGObaby Performance baby carrier is a soft-structured carrier (SSC). It’s suited to fit a baby as small as 3.2kg /7lbs (with the infant insert up to about 4 months) to a 20kg/44lbs toddler. It is also fully adjustable to fit all body types and sizes.
It features the options of a front carry (facing inwards), a hip carry or a back carry all while the baby is seated in the optimal “M” position.
Designed to be worn in warmer environments with breatheable, moisture-wicking fabric in the lining and water repellant fabric on the outer shell which is great for outdoor wearing.
I tested the ERGObaby Performance with my 5 month old in the front carry position.
- My immediate thought when first picking it up was how lightweight it is.
- I love how easy it is to put on and it’s quite easy to click the buckle together at the back in the front carry.
- The zipped pockets on the outer are a handy feature for keeping small things in.
- The hood is hidden in a zipped pocket when not in use, unlike the ERGObaby Original.
- The back panel on The ERGObaby Performance is longer than the ERGObaby Sport and ERGObaby Original, by about an inch roughly, so I found my baby found it harder to look over the top, but would be good for those with older babies/children.
- Shoulder straps are quite wide, and got in the way of my baby’s head a bit, but then it’s the wide straps that helps distribute the pressure over the wearer’s shoulders.
My Chiropractic opinion on the ERGObaby Performance
In the ERGObaby Performace the baby is in the seated position so their spine, pelvis and hips are sitting level. As a chiropractor this is a very important consideration when choosing a baby carrier. The baby’s hips and pelvis are in an optimal “M” position whereby their legs are drawn up and spread more than 90 degrees and their bottom is lower, which is good for healthy development of the hip socket.
The baby’s spine is held in the “C” curve which is good as it doesn’t hold them in a more upright position which could lead to spinal problems like spondylolisthesis.
Also, when the baby is tired there is a hood that can be pulled up over their head so it supports their neck and stops it rolling back which is also important.
For the wearer, the ERGObaby Performance distributes most of the baby’s/child’s weight through the hips. The padded shoulder straps take the rest of the weight evenly on both shoulders with the help of the buckle that holds them securely together at the back.
For more information on good spinal health for baby and the baby-wearer can be found here: The Importance of Ergonomics
Also make sure you check out the babywearing safety checklist
Click the ad above to buy an ERGObaby baby carrier in Australia.
A Day In The Life Of…
A review of the ERGObaby Performace baby carrier in my daily activities
Getting baby into carrier in the car park
It’s fairly easy for a front carry, just click on the waist belt, and make sure it’s on your front and centered on your waist. Next take baby out of car, hold them against your body with their legs on either side of you and their bottom centered in the middle of the carrier. Then, while holding the baby against you, bring the back of the ERGObaby Performance up over their back and put your arms through the shoulder straps and fasten the clip at the back.
Is it easier to put it on before leaving the house?
It probably wouldn’t make it easier to put on the ERGObaby Performance before leaving the house, in fact it might get in the way sitting in the car!
How supported is the baby in the ERGObaby Performance?
Very supported. It allows for the pelvis to remain in a neutral seated position with the legs either tucked in for a newborn (with the aid of the newborn insert) or frog-legged for older babies/ children.
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with carrier on?
Yes, it is quite easy.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the carrier on?
Does it feel hands-free?
Yes, it does and I feel I can use both hands for other things.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep?
Reasonably supported. My baby is only 5 months so when she sleeps she does slouch off to the side a bit, so I sometimes tighten the carrier a bit to support her.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the ERGObaby Performance?
Yes! What I do is loosen the waist belt and move it a bit lower down, then move one shoulder strap slightly off my shoulder and position my daughter that way. It is very discreet.
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc?
Yes, but even though her body is well supported, I always put my hand behind her head for extra support.
Can I sit down while wearing it?
I can, but because the waist belt is quite thick and padded it can sometimes be uncomfortable. I usually take my daughter out of the carrier and put her on my lap.
How does it feel after 30 minutes?
Great! I found it easy to wear for prolonged periods.
Does it pass the late afternoon/dinner time test? ie; the witching hour!
Yes it does because I feel quite hands free it’s easier to do the quick afternoon clean-up and get dinner prepared (*read my post on safety) than if my baby was crying for my attention in the bouncer.
Can it hold a toddler?
Yes it does and I have tested it with my almost 3yr-old, but I haven’t worn her in it for prolonged periods yet.
Has my husband worn it?
Yes he has and he enjoyed it. He also commented that he liked the colour (we trialled the Spring Green).
ERGO baby Performance Features
- Collection: ergobaby® Performance
- Carrier body: Durable, high-performance Ripstop water-repellant polyester outer layer, ideal for outdoor activities.
- Carrier lining: 100% cotton in a moisture wicking knit; mesh lining for extra wicking (Blue and Charcoal) for increased breathability and moisture wicking; Cotton lining (Green and Gray).
- Carrier weight: 1.21 lbs / 550 grams. 1/3 lighter than ergobaby® Original Carrier. More breathable and lightweight.
- Sleeping Hood: Integrated, Ripstop water-repellant fabric with elastic edging and snap-to-strap attach. Supports baby’s head while sleeping and protects from sun and wind. Adjusts in length with 5 snap levels for growth of baby.
- Shoulder straps: Padded with 1” high-density premium foam, expanding from 27” – 49”
- Waist strap belt: Padded with 1/4” high-density EVA foam, expanding from 23.6” – 51.18” / 60cm – 130cm, an additional 5.9” / 15cm over the ergobaby® Original Carrier
- Chest strap: Sliding adjustment
- Fill: 100% cotton batting in body of carrier to soften edges
- Small zippered pouch, fully hides Sleeping Hood when stuffed
- Large zippered storage pocket holds your wallet, keys, and mobile phone
General ERGObaby features
- Balanced weight distribution: Evenly-managed baby weight between parent’s shoulders and hips for ultimate comfort
- Ergonomic: Proper facing-in spread-squat seating position supports baby’s hip, pelvis, and spinal development
- Carry positions: 3 positions – Front, Back, and Hip carry
- Carrier fit: Adults from 5’ to 6’5” body height (depending on body type, height range may differ).
- Usage Range: Carries babies from infancy (7 lbs. / 3.2 kg to 12 lbs. / 5.5 kg with Infant Insert) or up to 4-5 months to maximum 45lbs / 20kgs
- Works with Infant Insert? Yes.
- Accessory Compatibility: Infant Inserts, Backpacks, Front Pouches, Teething Pads, Weather Covers
- Buckles: Custom-logo, high-test strength
- Webbing straps: Premium quality, nylon
- Stitching: Reinforced at all fabric intersections for extra durability
- Reinforcements: Interior interfacing at critical intersections for added safety
- Machine washable: Cold with mild detergent on gentle cycle. Dry on delicate cycle and remove when seams are still damp. Air dry.
- Designed in Hawaii. Made in India.