Ergobaby Sport Review
The ERGObaby Sport baby carrier is a soft-structured carrier (SSC). It’s suited to fit a baby as small as 3.2kg /7lbs (with the infant insert up to about 4 months) to a 20kg/44lbs toddler. It is also fully adjustable to fit all body types and sizes.
It features the options of a front carry (facing inwards), a hip carry or a back carry all while the baby is seated in the optimal “M” position.
Designed to be worn by active parents, to give maximum movement and breathability with an open back vent.
I tested the ERGObaby Performance with my 5 month old in the front carry position.
- The fabric was lovely and soft on the ERGObaby Sport
- Back vent for extra breathability
- I love how easy it is to put on and it’s quite easy to click the buckle together at the back in the front carry.
- The sleeping hood is detatchable and can snap on with press studs when needed, making the carrier less bulky
- Quite lightweight
- There is no way to close the air vent on the back rest of the ERGObaby sport, so it’s not as warm in colder weather
- Shoulder straps are quite bulky
My Chiropractic opinion on the ERGObaby Sport
In the ERGObaby Sport the baby is in the seated position so their spine, pelvis and hips are sitting level. As a chiropractor this is a very important consideration when choosing a baby carrier. The baby’s hips and pelvis are in an optimal “M” position whereby their legs are drawn up and spread more than 90 degrees and their bottom is lower, which is good for healthy development of the hip socket.
The baby’s spine is held in the “C” curve which is good as it doesn’t hold them in a more upright position which could lead to spinal problems like spondylolisthesis.
Also, when the baby is tired there is an attachable hood that that can be clicked into the carrier and can be pulled up over their head so it supports their neck and stops it rolling back which is also important.
For the wearer, the ERGObaby Sport distributes most of the baby’s/child’s weight through the hips. The padded shoulder straps take the rest of the weight evenly on both shoulders with the help of the buckle that holds them securely together at the back.
For more information on good spinal health for baby and the baby-wearer can be found here: The Importance of Ergonomics
Also make sure you check out the babywearing safety checklist
Click the ad above to buy an ERGObaby baby carrier in Australia.
A Day In The Life Of…
A review of the ERGObaby Sport baby carrier in my daily activities
Getting baby into carrier in the car park
It’s fairly easy for a front carry, just click on the waist belt, and make sure it’s on your front and centered on your waist. Next take baby out of car, hold them against your body with their legs on either side of you and their bottom centered in the middle of the carrier. Then, while holding the baby against you, bring the back of the ERGObaby Sport up over their back and put your arms through the shoulder straps and fasten the clip at the back.
Is it easier to put it on before leaving the house?
It probably wouldn’t make it easier to put on the ERGObaby Sport before leaving the house.
How supported is the baby in the ERGObaby Sport?
Very supported. It allows for the pelvis to remain in a neutral seated position with the legs either tucked in for a newborn (with the aid of the newborn insert) or frog-legged for older babies/ children.
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with carrier on?
Yes, it is quite easy.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the carrier on?
Does it feel hands-free?
Yes, it does and I feel I can use both hands for other things.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep?
Reasonably supported. My baby is only 5 months so when she sleeps she does slouch off to the side a bit, so I sometimes tighten the carrier a bit to support her.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the ERGObaby Sport?
Yes! What I do is loosen the waist belt and move it a bit lower down, then move one shoulder strap slightly off my shoulder and position my daughter that way. It is very discreet.
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc?
Yes, but even though her body is well supported, I always put my hand behind her head for extra support.
Can I sit down while wearing it?
I did (see picture) and it was quite comfortable.
How does it feel after 30 minutes?
Great! I found it easy to wear for prolonged periods.
Does it pass the late afternoon/dinner time test? ie; the witching hour!
Yes it does because I feel quite hands free it’s easier to do the quick afternoon clean-up and get dinner prepared (*read my post on safety) than if my baby was crying for my attention in the bouncer.
Can it hold a toddler?
Yes it does and I have tested it with my almost 3yr-old, but I haven’t worn her in it for prolonged periods yet.
Has my husband worn it?
Yes he has and he liked it.
ERGObaby Sport features (as taken from their website)
- ERGO baby Sport FeaturesCollection: ergobaby® Sport
- Carrier body: 65% polyester, 35% cotto
- Carrier lining: 100% cotton poplin
- Carrier weight: 1.21 lbs / 550 grams. 1/3 lighter than ergobaby® Original Carrier. More breathable and lightweight.
- Sleeping Hood: Detachable, snap-in; 100% cotton poplin with elastic edging and snap-to-strap attach. Supports baby’s head while sleeping and protects from sun and wind. Adjusts in length with 5 snap levels for growth of baby.
- Shoulder straps: Padded with 1” high-density premium foam, expanding from 27” – 49”
- Waist strap belt: Padded with 1/4” high-density EVA foam, expanding from 23.6” – 51.18” / 60cm – 130cm, an additional 5.9” / 15cm over the ergobaby® Original Carrier.
- Chest strap: Sliding adjustment
- Fill: 100% cotton batting in body of carrier to soften edges
- Small stuff pouch, doubles as storage for Sleeping Hood
- Slit-vented front of carrier: A cooler ride for baby
General ERGObaby features
- Balanced weight distribution: Evenly-managed baby weight between parent’s shoulders and hips for ultimate comfort
- Ergonomic: Proper facing-in spread-squat seating position supports baby’s hip, pelvis, and spinal development
- Carry positions: 3 positions – Front, Back, and Hip carry
- Carrier fit: Adults from 5’ to 6’5” body height (depending on body type, height range may differ).
- Usage Range: Carries babies from infancy (7 lbs. / 3.2 kg to 12 lbs. / 5.5 kg with Infant Insert) or up to 4-5 months to maximum 45lbs / 20kgs
- Works with Infant Insert? Yes.
- Accessory Compatibility: Infant Inserts, Backpacks, Front Pouches, Teething Pads, Weather Covers
- Buckles: Custom-logo, high-test strength
- Webbing straps: Premium quality, nylon
- Stitching: Reinforced at all fabric intersections for extra durability
- Reinforcements: Interior interfacing at critical intersections for added safety
- Machine washable: Cold with mild detergent on gentle cycle. Dry on delicate cycle and remove when seams are still damp. Air dry.
- Designed in Hawaii. Made in India.