Ergobaby Wrap Review
The Ergobaby Wrap or Ergobaby 4D Stretch Wrap is designed for newborns and babies up to about 14kg (30lbs) and is made from a specially designed fabric that can stretch in all four directions. It is soft yet strong enough to use in 6 different carries including three front ties, hip carry, back carry and a pregnancy support wrap. The design of the 4D fabric allows the Ergobaby Wrap to safely carry your baby on your back unlike regular stretch wraps.
My Chiropractic Opinion on the Ergobaby Wrap
Using the wrap techniques shown for the Ergobaby Wrap, it is very ergonomic for both baby and wearer. Baby is held in nice and close to the wearer, ensuring that there is no excess strain on the wearers shoulders and back.
To read more on babywearing ergonomics click here.
- A great hybrid between a stretchy wrap and a woven wrap
- Lovely soft stretchy fabric with an inbuilt pocket for storage.
- More options for different carries than regular stretchy wraps.
- You can take baby in and out without the need to retie.
- It’s fairly heavy to carry around but not noticeable when wearing.
- Quite thick, so maybe warm to use in summer, but would be great in the cooler months.
- You need a second person to assist you when using the back carry.
Back carry for older babies
A Day In The Life Of…
Getting baby into carrier in the car park It’s easy once you’ve got the hang of it. TIP: Practice a few times at home in front of the mirror beforehand and when you get out of the car, use the reflection of the car’s windows to help make sure you pull the fabric across properly.
Is it easier to put it on before leaving the house? It’s easy to tie on before leaving the house so you can pop baby in when you get out of the car. You’re also able to take baby in and out numerous times without re-tying which is handy.
How supported is the baby in the Ergobaby Wrap? Very, the fabric has what’s called a 4D stretch which is supportive but very soft
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with the carrier on? Yes.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the carrier on? Yes.
Does it feel hands-free? Yes.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep? Very, if baby falls asleep, you can just pull the fabric across and their head will be supported.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the Ergobaby Wrap? It’s not so easy while baby is in the wrap, but if you take baby out then you can part of the wrap as a breastfeeding cover if you wish
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc? Yes, but you will need to support baby’s head
Can I sit down while wearing it? Yes.
How does it feel after 30 minutes? Very comfortable. Make sure you have tied it on reasonably tight to avoid baby from sagging over time.
Does it pass the late afternoon/dinner time test? ie; the witching hour! Yes, baby can sleep while you work!
Can it hold a toddler? It’s designed to carry a toddler up to 14kg (30lbs).
Product Specifications: As taken from http://www.babesinarms.com.au/ergobaby/ergobaby-wrap
- For babies from 3kg to 14kg
- One size fits all: 500cm x 65cm
- 4D Stretch knit fabric – 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex
- Two coloured seams for a better orientation
- Machine washable: Cold with mild detergent on gentle cycle. Dry on delicate cycle and remove when seams are still damp. Air dry.