Maya Wrap Original Ring Sling
The Maya Wrap Original is a hand-loomed 100% cotton ring sling, made in Guatemala. It’s light, with an unpadded shoulder that you can pull down to create the most comfortable fit for you. It features strong steel rings and a zipped pocket in the tail.
Click Here To Buy A Maya Wrap Original
- Very comfortable ring sling.
- It’s lightweight.
- It has a zipped pocket in the tail.
- The shoulder is gathered and can be stretched down over the shoulder so it doesn’t slip up towards the neck
- Can be adjusted so that baby sits very snugly into your body.
- Baby can be held in the optimal “M” position in the hip carry.
- Great for times when you want to wear your baby for short periods.
- It can be tricky to get used to the ring sling if you are a beginner, but there are plenty of online tutorials and videos.
- It is a one-shouldered carrier so you may need to swap shoulders periodically to prevent straining one side.
- It is unpadded, so the wearer may prefer the padded option.
- May not be the best option if you are babywearing for extended periods.
- If baby falls asleep you will need one hand to support their head.
In the hip carry position the Maya Wrap Original holds the baby in the seated position so their spine, pelvis and hips are sitting level. As a chiropractor this is a very important consideration when choosing a baby carrier. The baby’s hips and pelvis are in an optimal “M” position whereby their legs are drawn up and spread more than 90 degrees and their bottom is lower, which is good for healthy development of the hip socket.
The baby’s spine is held in the “C” curve which is good as it doesn’t hold them in a more upright position which could lead to spinal problems like spondylolisthesis.
For more information on good spinal health for baby and the baby-wearer can be found here: The Importance of Ergonomics
A Day In The Life Of…
A review of the Maya Wrap Original in my daily activities
Getting baby into carrier in the car park
It is quite easy to put on quickly, once you get the hang of using a ring sling. I use the reflection of the window of my car to make sure that my baby’s bottom and hips are seated correctly in the “M” position, and that both her feet are level.
Is it easier to put it on before leaving the house?
There really is no need to put it on before leaving the house, unless you are in a hurry or it is raining and want to get baby in as quickly as possible at your destination.
How supported is the baby in the Maya Wrap Original?
It can be very supportive, so long as it is fitted correctly and baby is held close to the wearer.
Is it easy to carry my baby bag with carrier on?
Yes, it is quite easy.
Can I hold my older child’s hand with the carrier on?
Does it feel hands-free?
If the baby is secured in the front upright carry position then it does feel hands-free.
How supported is baby when they fall asleep?
Reasonably supported. You will most likely need to have your hand behind their head for extra support.
Can I breastfeed while wearing the baby in the carrier?
I have managed to breastfeed after putting my baby in the hammock position, while I was sitting down.
Can I bend down to pick up toys, laundry etc?
Yes. So long as you support their head while doing so.
Can I sit down while wearing it?
Yes. It feels quite comfortable as there are no bulky straps or buckles.
How does it feel after 30 minutes?
It feels quite good, but I do find my shoulder muscles will fatigue after this time and I need to swap sides.
Does it pass the late afternoon/dinner time test? ie; the witching hour!
I tend to grab my ring slings at this time of the day, because they are quick and easy to put on and get baby into when they are cranky and I need to get on with things around the house!
Can it hold a toddler?
Yes it can in the hip and back carry.
Has my husband worn it?
No, I think the ring system confuses him!
Maya Wrap Original Features
- This should fit people from 5’2″ to 5’9″ tall
- 100% cotton hand-loomed fabric is cooler
- Generous pocket has room for diaper
- Spreads weight of your child evenly across back
- Instructional DVD Included